Saturday 25 August 2012

Taking photos!



This Thursday, I was watching photos in my camera. A boy H. approached me and asked, “What are you doing?” I replied, “I am watching photos”. Then he asked, “Can I see?”  I showed him, and he said, “Can I take a photo?” I said “Ok”, and then showed him the on and off button and the shutter button. I reminded him to put his hand through the cord first, and explained that the camera won’t drop or break in this way. I also told him that he needed to ask permissions before shooting photos of someone. He asked why. I explained to him, “that is because some people may not like you to take photos of them, and we have to respect them and their decisions”. He asked a girl S. next to us first, “Can I take a photo?” The girl refused him by shaking her head. H. got the cue and looked at me. I encouraged him, “why don’t you ask me?” He asked me and I agreed and H. took a photo of me.  Then we viewed the picture together. That was not a nice one, so we decided to take another one. I suggested to him, “Maybe you should point the camera up this time”.  He did it and showed me and I said, “Wah, H. That is nice photo. I like it. Thank you”.  He giggled and started to walk around the room to take pictures of people and inanimate objects that he was interested in.
A picture is taken by H. 
I used demonstrating and instructing teaching strategies suggested by Macnaughton & Williams (2009) to teach children the ethical and respectful way of using cameras. That aligns with one of the NZ Curriculum’s criteria, which is “Through their learning experiences, students will develop their ability to make ethical decisions and act on them” (Ministry of Educaiton, 2007, p.10). I believe it is crucial to teach children ethics of technology, as not only to protect other people’s rights, but also introduce to children the concept of think and act ethically.

 When H. took photos of me at the first time, I didn’t tell him to point the camera upward. Considering his size and the weight of the camera I decided it was unimportant. He was enjoying the experience and the process more than the result. Smorti (1999) stated that “doing that is important rather than the product” (p.6). Later, I used encouraging, suggesting and praising teaching strategies to empower the boy.  

Cameras are portable a technological device. It provided H. another approach to explore the world. It is proposed that children’s use of cameras and other ICT devices enables them to access a world of animation and imagination, story, music and movement in enriched and engaging ways” (Talay-Ongan & Ap, 2005, p. 226). For children cameras can be an eye into their opinions, their interests and over all into their very own world (Blagojevic & Thomes, 2008). This activity also promoted children’s “ability to represent their discoveries, using creative and expressive media and the technology associated with them” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.88). Moreover, I believe teaching and allowing H. and other children to use cameras regularly on a daily basis will help me learn more about them and their perspectives.

In addition, using cameras increased H’s social interaction with me, his peers and other teachers and helped him to develop his technological vocabularies (Clements & Sarama, 2003). The benefits of implementing cameras into the curriculum are a lot more. For instance, Good (2005/2006) pointed out that using cameras and photos may foster children’s self-esteem and promote their feelings of security, promote a sense of community and belonging and so on.

Overall, I believe cameras play an important role in children’s learning and development. 

References: 

Blagojevic, B., & Thomes, K. (2008) Young photographers: Can 4-year-olds use a digital camera as a tool for learning? An investigation in progress. Young Children. 63(5), 66-70. 
Clements, D. H., & Sarama, J. (2003). Young children and technology: What does the research say? Young Children, November, pp.34-40.
Google. (n.d.). Image. Retrieved from https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=why+teaching+children+ethics+of+using+ICT&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1280&bih=579&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=nVw4UMbdE-fUigeJmYHoBQ#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=children+using+cameras&oq=children+using+cameras&gs_l=img.3...6416.6920.2.7065.6.5.0.0.0.2.221.425.2-2.2.0...0.0...1c.-dWygQN03r0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=f607866dd22a0f44&biw=1280&bih=579
MacNaughton, G., & Williams, G. (2004). Techniques for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (2nd ed.). Frenchs Forrest, Australia: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Ministry of Education. (1996)Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo ngā mokopuna ö Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum: For English-Medium teaching and learning in years 1-13. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education, No. 19 Autumn 1999.
Talay-Ongan, A., & Ap, E. A. (Eds.). (2005). Child development and teaching young children. Southbank, Victoria, Australia: Thompson Social Science Press.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Kate
    Cameras are a interesting technology and children just love them.Digital cameras are becoming more and more popular, especially with young children.
    What I like about digital cameras is that the pictures are immediately available, pictures are saved in graphic format, and they are easily transferred from the camera to the computer.

    When letting children use cameras in the centre, I believe that it's not really about taking pictures, but using the camera as a tool to help children explore and understand other subjects.

    I agree with you that children have social benefits when they use cameras. Not only they love being in a picture, but they also love talking about it with their friends and families.
    You could continue observing and extending on their interest in cameras.
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this reflection with us Kate! Tumeke!

    I agree with you that using camera enhances children’s communication and social development. Using camera could bring out a lot of conversation and interaction. For example, when a child is taking photo of other children, he or she might ask peers to make particular posture, after taking pictures, children always tend to show it to other children or teachers, more dialogue occurs.

    Camera is a great tool for children to explore the world through a different lens. The process of taking picture is more important than the quality of the picture that children have taken. However I also believe that through looking at the pictures that children have taken could help us understand children’s world from their angle. Maybe you could print out some pictures and let children tell you something about the picture, it also is another way of creating dialogue and encourage communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Kate, this is another good blog post.

    I am enjoying being able to see other peoples perspectives on children's experiences with both digital and non-digital technologies. It is especially interesting to read this blog post as we have both focused on the digital camera. It is also interesting that you decided to talk about the ethics of using a camera, because as you already know I too chose to reflect on this more in my first blog. I found this book quite helpful, maybe you would like to have a look. It is Fleer, M. & Jane, B. (2001). Design and technology for children. (3rd ed.). Australia: Pearson Australia.

    It was interesting that you mentioned that by using cameras children could also be developing their self esteem, and a sense of belonging. I think this could have been explained a bit more, as I am not sure exactly how using a digital camera helps children with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tino pai to mahi,
    I can see that you value the benefits of cameras and recognise that children should have opportunities to be exposed to them. It is indeed a creative medium to represent their discoveries and options of the world around them. I encourage you to continue to provide the opportunities for children to use cameras regularly in your centre.

    I liked how you gave a suggestion for H to point the camera up the second time. Sometimes words of advice can be helpful for children and adults to develop a skill. I wonder though if you had asked him "what do you think you could do differently next time", if he would have come up with the answer himself.

    I also found it interesting how you reflected on the ethics of cameras. Honestly before you and Nicola reflected on this, I never thought of asking children if it was alright to take their photos. Sure getting parent consent is one thing, but asking the children themselves is quite a foreign concept to me. Usually children love having their photo taken, that it seems like a given that they would want it. Not necessarily though. It is very respectful that we teach children to ask permission. It has also made me wonder... if we are teaching this we should also ask children when we take photos for learning stories. Sometimes however this may interrupt their concentration on what they are doing. Definitely a thought to ponder...

    ReplyDelete